A former therapist-turned-stylist has found her true calling, whipping up treats from carrot cake to lemon ricotta biscuits. Earlier this week, Chastity Hise revitalized a shuttered corner shop in Carver with the opening of Pies and Cakes Bakery. It focuses on classic baked goods like berry pies, cookies, and cupcakes, with pizza pop-ups appearing bi-monthly. (Richmond Magazine)
Northside Farmers Market recently made its debut in a neighborhood that’s been considered a food desert for decades. The market was established by members of the Northside Food Access Coalition to provide a central place for residents to purchase local produce while also highlighting underrepresented black producers. (Richmond Magazine)
get out of town
To me, summer means road trips, preferably with food and drink at the heart of every outing, and we’ve identified four edible escapes that are a short drive away. A drinking cave in DC, a Virginia Beach restaurant by Heritage alum that serves many natural wines, a rustic brewery, and an Oaxacan-inspired respite invite you to hit the gas and go. (Richmond Magazine)
Author Stephanie Ganz takes us on a journey to a dreamy and delicious destination, Irvington’s seaside resort, The Tides Inn. The story of The Tides, which turns 75 this year, spans tales of teetotal rebellion, whiskey lockers and plenty of crab soup. PS We also have a compact list of additional stops in the area, including a seafood shack run by a fourth-generation Aquarius and an outpost of Church Hill boutique Dear Neighbor in Northern Neck. (Richmond Magazine)
‘it’s the season
Over the next few weeks, as tomatoes make their seasonal move, expect heirloom fruit to be the talk of the town. From July 18-24, Duke’s Mayonnaise Hot Tomato Summer Tour returns for a second year, with area restaurants showcasing the harvest and spicy seasoning in all its synchronistic glory. The contestants – 50 in all – range from Shagbark and JewFro to Y Tu Mama and Grisette, so guests can prepare for a truly juicy week-long celebration of the dynamic duo.
The Hannoversche Tomato Festival, which was canceled in 2020 and split into smaller events last year, returns in full force to Pole Green Park on July 15-16. (Richmond Magazine)
Village Garden and Barboursville Vineyards continue with their Summer Supper Somm dinner series. (Richmond Magazine)
shovel, there it is
Where do all these national food holidays come from? No idea. Will I use National Ice Cream Day on July 17th as an excuse to treat myself? Absolutely.
VCU Graduate Rabia Kamara of Ruby Scoops Will Introduce a Rams-Inspired School-Exclusive Mystery Flavor at the Carytown Farmers Market 10am-1pm (press release)
Longtime cool purveyor Gelati Celesti is offering free Solo Scoops at each of their locations in the area during the all-day ice cream party – keep an eye out for some surprise menu appearances.
Strawberry Street’s Scoop says celebrate now, reap the benefits later. Every purchase made that day will be entered into a prize draw for a free three month Pint Club subscription.
Westray’s Finest hasn’t announced any National Ice Cream Day specials, but they have announced plans to take the truck on a few “pick-me-up” trips to serve those recommended by the community who could use a little sugar. evoke joy.
VPM and PBS have teamed up to bring The Great American Recipe, a feel-good cooking show filmed just outside of Richmond that oozes serious Great British Bake Off energy. (Richmond Magazine)
Keep things crunchy with Detroit-style ‘za from Secret Squares, the not-so-secret pizza pop-up that’s been the talk of the food scene. (Richmond Magazine)
Craft beer fans looking for weekend plans look no further than Brewtown, USA’s inaugural Brewfest, a day-long event dedicated to local sparkling wines, taking place on July 16 at Richbrau Brewing in Shockoe Bottom.
Union Hill officially welcomed Fat Rabbit Bakery on Wednesday. Struck by a wave of delighted and hungry customers, owner Ellyn Hopper and her crew are taking a day to stock up on supplies – look for hop tarts, biscuits and biscuits to refill the crate this weekend.
Channeling a more casual vibe for summer, Scott’s Addition Longoven introduces a snacking program that gives diners freedom to where to snack—no bandanas required; We suggest the garden terrace – and what you can eat.
With The Answer Brewpub’s birthday being more than two months away, anyone familiar with the usual celebrations knows that it’s time to mark your calendars. From September 23rd to 25th, the An Bui Beer Palace will be celebrating its eighth anniversary with a weekend of festivals.
Chicken Fiesta is expanding its local empire with a sixth location slated to begin spinning fried chicken at 8211 Brook Road in the coming months. (Richmond BizSense)
- Cocktail 101: Tequila and Tacos, The Kitchen Classroom (July 16): Veteran bartender and founder of beverage consultancy Salt and Acid, Beth Dixon will teach the basics of the alcoholic trade.
- Together Vintage Market, The Veil Brewing Co. Forest Hill Avenue (July 16): Vintage makers take over the South Side outpost, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the Richmond Reproductive Freedom Project.
- Pubbin’ & Grubbin’ Food Truck & Brewery Crawl, Scott’s Addition (July 16): Participating breweries will serve vegan beverages and host food trucks with vegan menus.
- VMFA Art After Hours: Soirée Française, VMFA (July 16): Celebrate France with live music, dance, food and drink during the belated Bastille Day gathering.
- Cheese and Charcuterie Board Building, The Kitchen Classroom (July 17): Virginia cheesemonger Sara Adduci shares her secrets for curating an aesthetically pleasing and interesting cheeseboard.
- Soul Vegan Moon Market, Hardywood Park Craft Brewery (July 17): A plant-based party featuring local vendors and canapés.
- Dayum Jams 7th Anniversary Celebration, Morr Donuts, Stir Crazy Cafe (July 19): Stop by one of the stores and pick up a special cone inspired and made from a special recipe by the queer and trans-owned jam company.
- Red, White & Brews, Libbie Mill-Midtown (July 21): The rescheduled July 4th event will feature Auntie Ning’s, Slideways Mobile Bistro, Davverro Gelato, live music and drinks.